Can you get salmonella from kissing a bearded dragon? Yes, even when a bearded dragon looks healthy and clean, they can carry salmonella germs. Thus if you kiss your beardie you can get salmonella.
In fact the CDC reported back in November 24, 2020 that an outbreak of salmonella infections was liked to bearded dragons..
18 people were infected back then across 11 states within the USA.
A similar outbreak was reported on January 11, 2022 causing 44 people to be sick across 25 states.
What is salmonella?
Salmonella is a type of bacteria that can cause food poisoning. It is usually found in raw meat, eggs, and poultry.
Salmonella can also be in unpasteurized milk and contaminated water.
Bearded dragons can carry the germs in their droppings.
What are signs of Salmonella poisoning?
If you touch your beardie and then touch your mouth or face you could swallow salmonella germs and get sick.
The symptoms of salmonella are diarrhea, fever, stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, and headache.
If you have these symptoms after eating something or drinking something that might have been contaminated with salmonella then you should see your doctor right away.
The same goes if you notice these signs after kissing your bearded dragon.
Do all bearded dragons carry Salmonella?
Yes, all bearded dragons carry Salmonella.
How to avoid catching salmonella as a bearded dragon owner
As a beardie owner you can take some simple steps to avoid salmonella and other germs:
– Wash your hands thoroughtly with water and soap whenever you interact with your pet or touch something in its environment.
– Don’t kiss your beardie as you can catch germs.
– Keep things clean within your pet’s environment as much as you can including its tank, water bowl
Bearded dragons can carry salmonella germs therefore you need to take some health and safety precautions while handling your pet. Avoid kissing or cuddling then to prevent any infection and most importantly keep things clean as much as possible.
If you display any of the symptoms related to salmonella or other infections go see a doctor for medical advice.
Outbreak of Salmonella Infections Linked to Pet Bearded Dragons
- Are you supposed to clip a bearded dragon’s nails? - October 21, 2022
- What do you do when you first get a bearded dragon? - October 21, 2022
- What is the best vegetable for bearded dragons? - October 21, 2022