Zucchini is a fruit often used in cooking. It’s also one of the favorite veggies for many people, including bearded dragons.
Since there are few things to watch out for when feeding this delicious vegetable to your beardie, it might seem like an easy decision to give it to your lizard regularly.
After all, it seems like something easy to find, and it’s also best for your pet.
However, there is a downside (or two) to regularly giving zucchini and other types of summer squash to bearded dragons.
Nutritional information about zucchini skin
First, if you decide to feed zucchini to your bearded dragon, it’s essential to know that you shouldn’t give the skin.
This is a general rule for all types of fruit and veggies you might be considering feeding your beardie.
Why not the zucchini skin? The high concentration of pesticides used on these vegetables makes their way into the fruit or vegetable itself as well as the skin.
This means that the zucchini and its skin should be thoroughly washed before feeding it to your bearded dragon.
How to feed your bearded dragon with zucchini skin?
To make zucchini a healthy part of your pet’s diet, consider following these steps:
- Wash it thoroughly. This is something you should do even if the zucchini is organically grown. There are no guarantees that some pesticides won’t get on the skin or in the pulp of the vegetable. It would be best if you gave the washing the attention it deserves for the sake of your pet.
- Skin it. This might be something you don’t want to consider, but again, the skin is where all pesticides get trapped. Adding such chemicals to your bearded dragon’s body is a clear disservice.
- Cut it up and grill it first. If you decide to be brave and provide zucchini skin or pulp (that’s been washed thoroughly) to your bearded dragon, you need to cut it into small pieces and grill it first. This is because grilling gets rid of toxins, so if your dragon eats the zucchini after being grilled, he will be safe.
- Cut it up and add vegetables. Zucchini is often consumed by itself, but it’s not always going to provide enough nutrition for your bearded dragon. That’s why you should consider adding some other fruit and veggies to the mix, such as carrots or cucumbers.
- Add calcium and vitamin A to zucchini. Any time you provide your pet with a new type of food, it’s essential to consider adding some supplements. This will ensure he is getting everything his body needs. Some people use Tums, but it’s better to add calcium in a nutritious way. Consider a combination of zucchini and carrots.
Can bearded dragons eat apples?
Bearded dragons can eat apples, but not too often. The skin of an apple can be toxic for your lizard, so you need to consider that as well.
Bearded dragons cannot eat zucchini skin usually because of the pesticides on it.
You should wash and grill zucchini before giving it to your dragon.
Also, add other vitamins and minerals such as calcium and vitamin A.
Zucchini is safe for bearded dragons if you do these things, but you should not use it too often.
You should consider other fruits and vegetables that are safe for your dragon to eat instead of zucchini.
As you probably know bearded dragons eat insects. We answer the question about beardies and cockoaches in this detailed article.
- Are you supposed to clip a bearded dragon’s nails? - October 21, 2022
- What do you do when you first get a bearded dragon? - October 21, 2022
- What is the best vegetable for bearded dragons? - October 21, 2022