Bearded dragons are curious and personable animals. They can be inquisitive about their environment, interactive with people, and even affectionate with their human caregivers.
If you’re new to owning bearded dragons or new to caring for one as a pet, you might worry about how much attention and trust your little friend gives you. You might also ask yourself if your bearded dragon trusts you or not.
Trust is a very important element in any relationship between two humans or animals. It indicates that someone has confidence in the other person or animal based on past experiences, actions, or statements of trustworthiness.
Trust is built over time through interactions and experiences together as friends. In this article, we will go over some ways that help you tell if your bearded dragon trusts you.
Watch Your Bearded Dragon’s Body Language
Bearded dragons are social animals that communicate with their owners through body language. A dragon’s body language can tell you a lot about how it feels, how it’s feeling, and what it needs.
Paying attention to these signals will help you create a better bond with your pet.
There are a number of things to watch for:
Body language that shows trust, like relaxed body posture and a lowered head can indicate that your dragon trusts you. Dragons also tend to be less likely to bite if they feel comfortable around you.
Excessive shaking of the head is another sign that your dragon is stressed or uncomfortable. If your dragon seems agitated, take a break from handling it for a few minutes.
If your dragon is scratching at its eyes or head, it may have an eye infection or mites. Take your pet to the vet if this behavior persists.
If your dragon is pacing back and forth across the habitat, it may be feeling stressed or anxious. Try reducing stress factors in the habitat such as lighting and noise levels.
A slow-moving, lethargic dragon may have an infection or metabolic issue.
Tips to build trust with your bearded dragon
Trust is the cornerstone of any relationship, and it’s especially important when you’re trying to build a bond with a new animal friend. Building trust takes time and patience, but there are a few steps you can take to help your bearded dragon feel more comfortable around you. Here are some tips to help build trust with your bearded dragon:
- Be consistent. The best way to build trust with your bearded dragon is to be consistent in your interactions with the animal. This means keeping the same feeding and care routines every day.
- Be patient. It can take time for a new bearded dragon to adjust to their new home and feel comfortable around their owner. Be patient with the process, and be sure to give your bearded dragon plenty of time alone if they seem uncomfortable around you.
- Watch and learn. When you first bring your new bearded dragon home, just observe them for a while before trying to interact with them. This will give them a chance to get used to their new environment before being bombarded by new people and stimuli. Once they’ve had some time to settle in, try watching them and learn what they like.
- Don’t touch. This may be a bit counter-intuitive, but don’t try to touch your bearded dragon. Remember that handling your pet for too long or too often can stress them out and make them defensive, which may even lead to biting. Instead, give your bearded dragon space and let them come to you when they’re ready. They’ll let you know when they feel comfortable with you.
- Let them be themselves. It can be tempting to try and make your bearded dragon do things it doesn’t like, but try to remember that they are still dragons and they need to be able to express themselves freely. Plus, your bearded dragon will have more fun with you if you let it be itself!
Build your relationship with your bearded dragon by spending quality time together. Be sure to spend at least a few minutes each day interacting with your dragon.
This can help build your dragon’s trust in you and teach them how to be comfortable around you. You might also consider bringing your bearded dragon out for a walk or picnic.
- Are you supposed to clip a bearded dragon’s nails? - October 21, 2022
- What do you do when you first get a bearded dragon? - October 21, 2022
- What is the best vegetable for bearded dragons? - October 21, 2022